Pre-Juvenation, Combination Therapies & Less Invasive Options
Posted: 6:00 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 5, 2017
By Anita Mandal, M.D.
According to the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery’s (AAFPRS) annual survey, “topping the trends, are combination therapies, with 66% of facial plastic surgeons reporting that combining non-surgical procedures in the same patient is the most popular in their practices”
Even after 22 years in practice as a facial plastic surgeon, I can say that it’s a very exciting time in my specialty. While less-invasive options have been around for 20 years, the key difference with many current less invasive procedures is that they can give effective, long-term results without surgery. It’s because these minimal invasive options are longer lasting and produce visible results without large incisions, long recuperation and the higher risks associated with use of the “knife”.
While less invasive procedures are not a complete substitute for surgery, combining state-of-the-art injectable fillers, lasers, ultrasound and radio-frequency treatments can slow down the aging process and enable individualized treatments to a wider range of patients. These non-invasive options can also optimize the results of surgery, in instances where surgery is needed.
With today’s busy lifestyles, patients are more focused on multi-tasking and maintenance to slow down the aging process. Patients are also willing to pay more for less invasive treatments in order to have none to smaller incisions, lower risks, less downtime and most importantly, natural results.
In fact, there is a rapidly emerging segment of younger patients and men of all ages who are getting on the band wagon not only for less invasive facial rejuvenation procedures, but also for prejuvenation where the focus is getting started earlier to prevent having major procedures later in life. “The focus has shifted from correction to prevention. Even before the first signs of sagging, lines or volume loss, we are seeing patients adamant about stalling the aging process,” as stated by Dr. Fred G. Fedok, president of the AAFPRS.
Examples of less invasive procedures that produce effective results include:
- Bellafill: The 5-year filler for facial volumization of the cheeks, temples, lower lid hollows, deep smile lines, chin grooves and sagging mouth corners
- Kybella for the non-surgical, permanent removal of neck fat to improve a double chin
- Infini for the non-surgical lifting and tightening of sagging jowls and neck and the treatment of fine lines and poor skin texture
- Laser Whisper Lift for those patients open to less invasive, micro-incision surgery for sagging tissue in the neck and face, with local anesthesia and much less downtime than a facelift.
- Sculpsure for my facial rejuvenation patients who additionally want their body body fat reduced without surgery for a more balanced rejuvenation of their face and body.